[cdt-l] Tom Jacoby Jan 18

Ginny & Jim Owen spiritbear2k at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 21 07:26:03 CST 2007

Dick -
The BLM land management maps are precisely what you're looking for - we used
them for our '99 and '06 hikes.  They're color coded to indicate private,
state and federal agency land ownership (among others).  The maps we used in
'99 were entirely adelquate for our '06 hike. In spite of your conversation
with the cop - land turnover in this area is not a major problem.  And when
a tract does change hands, it generally changes to the same type of
ownership (i.e. - private party to private party). Land swaps between
private and government agencies do occur - but slowly - very slowly.  A
mandated quarterly update of the maps would be precisely what you've
indicated - a massive waste of my tax money (and yours).  I do agree with
you that a whole lot of gubmint money could find better uses.  I have my own
list of suggestions -

BTW - as far as I can determine, those maps show the area in question as
being entirely private.  I'm missing a small corner of one map so I couold
be wrong - but I don't think so. That's what happens when you cut maps - you
end up missing pieces.

If you want the applicable BLM maps for the bootheel, go here -
http://spiriteaglehome.com/cdt06%20maps.html

Keep in mind that some of the information on that page will be updated in a
few days.   But not the specific maps.

Second point - there IS a designated trail - and it's entirely on government
land - mostly BLM, some State.  Go here for details -

http://spiriteaglehome.com/bootheel.html

I think the same information will be on Jonathon's maps.

Walk softly,
Jim

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/