[cdt-l] '08 thruhike

Ginny & Jim Owen spiritbear2k at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 4 20:29:34 CST 2007

joseph beals wrote:

>I have been monitoring this list for a few months now
>trying to pick up as much as I can to plan my hike.  I
>now have my window to hike next spring/summer, and
>have a warm/fuzzy on what I want to do.  I have a few
>questions for you guys are more familiar.  I want to
>leave the ice axe and crampons behind, and wanted some
>input on what I need to watch for to do this.  Ihave
>the option to go nothbound or southbound, other than
>the obvious snow factor, what pro's and cons are
>there?  I'm sure I will conjure up some more along the
>way, but this is enough for now.  I appreciate any
>few months.  -Joe

Bear -
You should only need an ice axe if you start from Glacier too early in a
high snow year.  It won't do diddly in Colorado.  Nor will crampons.  For
snow info go here:
ftp://ftp.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/data/snow/update/mt.txt

or here:
ftp://ftp.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/data/snow/update/co.txt

For pros and cons on direction see (there may be other opinions):
http://spiriteaglehome.com/cdt northsouth.html

Walk softly,
Jim