[cdt-l] New Mexico trespassing

Ginny & Jim Owen spiritbear2k at hotmail.com
Mon May 7 22:58:32 CDT 2007

Joe -
We used BLM land use maps in New Mexico - at least partly because we were
hiking a brand new route in southern NM.  Knowing where we were with respect
to private land was important because we don't consider it acceptable to be
trespassing and pissing off the neighbors.  It's REALLY BAD form.  And as
hikers it makes us look either really stupid or just stupidly irresponsible.
  The locals know where the Trail is - and as a hiker you're supposed to
know where the trail is.  If you don't - well, why not?

In Colorado, we used both Jonathon's maps and the National Geographic/Trails
Illustrated maps.  Both have "pieces of the puzzle", so to speak.  Meaning
that neither of them is entirely complete.  Especially if you fail to pay
attention - and find yourself significantly off-trail (i.e. - "lost")

In Wyoming, we were back to the BLM maps in combination with Jonathon's
maps.  For much the same reasons.  BTW - in Wyoming the trespassing laws
actually have "teeth" - and you "could" (although it hasn't happened to a
hiker for a number of years) find yourself cooling your boots in the slammer
for a whle.

Montana - we used Jonathon's maps in combination with the USFS maps - and
specifically Bob Marshall and Glacier NP maps.

Two points - first that the major problem with Jonathons maps had nothing to
do with the maps.  We printed the maps on 8.5x11 paper - and my eyes don't
handle that level of detail at that scale anymore.  Solution - print the
maps on larger paper (11x17 ?)   Jonathan's maps don't show (or at least we
couldn't see) all the side trails and side roads.  There are times that it
is essential to know where the other trails are and where they go.  (i.e. in
the San Juans we didn't want to hike the Knife Edge without ice axes.  We
took a trail down and back up Trout Creek.  That route was not on Jonathan's
map - though it may be now.)   There are a lot of trails and roads that the
CDT crosses - we found it necessary to know which was which in order to know
where we were.

Second point - not all maps are equal.  Meaning - each map is made for a
different purpose.  Therefore, each map has different features, scales,
levels of detail, etc.  Jonathon's maps have sufficient detail for those who
can (and do) pay attention to where they are AT ALL TIMES.  Meaning - they
never get lost.  That particular "skill" is something that only the rarest
of AT and PCT hikers have developed (or even thought about developing).  On
our first CDT hike, it took me about 200 miles to learn that "skill" - and
still, last year, we several times wandered "off-trail".  When we did, the
USFS and/or BLM and/or other maps were what we used to "replan" our route
and get back "on trail".

Finally - notice that I did NOT tell you what to do.  Nor will I.  One of
the best parts of the CDT is that YOU are the one who gets to make your own
decisions - and YOU are the one who gets to live with the results.  It's a
level of freedom that some people love and others can't live with.

Walk softly,
Jim

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/