[cdt-l] Hiking over 4th of July; GNP trail closures

James McCreight jlmccreight at gmail.com
Mon May 14 10:12:25 CDT 2007

true, they reserve some (say 50%) spots fo "walk-ins" BUT (in the past) they
allow walk-ins for something like 7 days before the actual day you are
booking.
Bear in mind that there are only usually about 4-6 camp sites at each
location, so 50% may only be 2 spots.
What typically happens is that some other guy shows up a few days before you
and books them.
If you really want a certain itinerary, the safest bet is if you an show up
upto 7 days or so (the max) before you plan to start your hike and book your
sites. Then do something to kill time and then return when your trip starts.
>From my experience, you wont be able to just walk up and reserve the spots
you want. You may get 1 of 3 or 4, 2 if you're lucky. Chances are you'll
have to come up with a totally new plan based on whats available. EG, going
SOBO on the CDT isnt very likely to be available.
I tried the show up deal the first 2 years i lived up there, after that i
was an avid lottery guy.

BTW - very important - there has traditionally been a wonderful and very
special 4th of July celebration at Polebridge, which is a small village on
the west side of the park, right on the boundary road. There is/was a very
small bakery in this VERY tiny village there, i think they hosted it. As I
remember, the celebration includs a parade. I've never been but have heard
many great stories and have always wanted to go. I would suggest that if you
show up before the 4th, you could plan you trip for after the 4th and then
head over to ploe bridge for a few days. You might even do an in-and-out
from that corner of the park. You could potentially hit the hole-in
-the-wall camp site from there, which is one of the most spectacular in the
park... just an idea.

james