[cdt-l] Colorado South or North?

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Thu May 24 14:55:34 CDT 2007

By hiking in early Sept, you are on the cusp of when the weather can turn bad. Last year, winter came to Colorado two weeks early. Many CDT SoBos (myself included), hit the San Juans in mid-Sept...just in time for the early winter. Sigh...

Having said all that, I'd go NoBo through CO for that reason. The San Juans are awesome. By starting in the San Juans in early Sept, you will be able to see them. If an early winter
happens again, you will not have to miss the San Juans and will be in the mountains that gets less (that does not mean *NO* snow) snow than the San Juans. The terrain is also not as exposed and bailout points are easier.

Since you will have just hiked the JMT, the higher elev of the San Juans right off the bat should not be a problem in terms of altitude adjustment.

Good luck!

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com