[Cdt-l] MSR Pocket Rocket

Ken Powers ken at gottawalk.com
Fri Oct 17 15:11:49 CDT 2008

We've used canisters exclusively on all our hikes with a Gigapower stove. We
have not had any issues at high elevation on CDT or ADT, and we cooked above
11,000 feet with no problems. We have found we are eating while alcohol
users are still heating water.

We planned on small canisters lasting 4+ days. We are cooking for 2 people.
Boil 2+ cups in the morning and usually boil 4 cups in evening. Recently we
have been able to stretch  our fuel usage by using a caddy (my fleece
jacket) instead of simmering. I think we are closer to 6 days on a small
canister now.  We have a collection of partial canisters in the closet.

In cold weather you need to warm the canister. Its really fun to put a cold
canister in your sleeping bag early in the morning. But cold canisters don't
seem to burn well.

As for finding the canisters on trail, good luck. Some of the larger towns
may have them. See my webpage on shipping fuel.
http://www.gottawalk.com/shipping_fuel.htm

Ken