[Cdt-l] MSR Pocket Rocket

R Smith ronyon at comcast.net
Sat Oct 18 14:15:15 CDT 2008

There you have it -- two different, opposite answers to your question!
I'll stick to my original assertion, though, that alcohol stoves are more
trouble free, and except for Jetboil systems, I've never seen a gas-canister
stove out-perform my alcohol stove. The old Trangia alcohol stoves do take a
long time to boil water, but so do gas-canister stoves in cold, windy
conditions. Other arguments against gas-canister stoves are cold weather,
canister availability, compatibility, partial canisters, and disposal. All
of that being said, part of the fun is trying out new things; if it turns
out you don't like canisters, you can always switch back. -Ron

   1. Re: MSR Pocket Rocket (R Smith)
   2. Re: MSR Pocket Rocket (Ken Powers)

Message: 1

I would stick with alcohol, it does much better at high altitudes than fuel
canisters. I was in the Wind Rivers this summer, brought along my Pocket
Rocket because I had 2 canisters I wanted to use up. I had trouble
maintaining pressure even with the full canister. It also also took
considerably longer to boil water than with my alcohol stove. -Ron

Message: 2

We've used canisters exclusively on all our hikes with a Gigapower stove. We

have not had any issues at high elevation on CDT or ADT, and we cooked above

11,000 feet with no problems. We have found we are eating while alcohol
users are still heating water.

We planned on small canisters lasting 4+ days. We are cooking for 2 people.
Boil 2+ cups in the morning and usually boil 4 cups in evening. Recently we
have been able to stretch  our fuel usage by using a caddy (my fleece
jacket) instead of simmering. I think we are closer to 6 days on a small
canister now.  We have a collection of partial canisters in the closet.

In cold weather you need to warm the canister. Its really fun to put a cold
canister in your sleeping bag early in the morning. But cold canisters don't

seem to burn well.

As for finding the canisters on trail, good luck. Some of the larger towns
may have them. See my webpage on shipping fuel.
http://www.gottawalk.com/shipping_fuel.htm

Ken