[Cdt-l] link to a hiker quiz

glen fleag fiddleheadpa at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 3 20:03:19 CDT 2009

I had that question in there (about actually having a "combat" self arrest) and i took it out because one of my friends pointed out that good ice ax technique often prevents the fall and need to self arrest as well as chopping steps sometimes, etc.   So, i agree that sometimes, a fall is not a good judge of whether you are experienced or not.

As to some other things people pointed out, the question on frostbite/hypothermia/dehydration was actually changed at the end to no point value because, although possibly only some extreme conditions could warrant the problem even happening, good hikers would not let themselves get to those extremes.   So, i kept the question in there, as food for thought, but made it zero points either way.

What else?  I think owning 3 sleeping bags is a show of an experienced outdoors person.   I have a 35 deg,  20 deg. ,  0 deg. and minus 35 deg (which i've only slept in twice but was glad for it when i did) bags.    But then, as many have mentioned, perhaps i have biased the quiz to what I have done and have and yes, i think things like: hiking long trails in other countries exposes one to many different situations that help in the long run, or, using map scales that are unorthodox in America teach one to make your own templates or scale legends "on the fly", etc. etc. etc.

So many different things get learned as we hike.   Many have no importance until you get into a particular situation.   I got flamed enough for, believe it or not, even the magnetic deviation question, on the AT forum to know that no matter what questions you put out there, somebodies going to find fault with them.     But that's Ok, we are a diverse group.    But FOR SURE, i am getting the best feedback/advice/possible changes/other questions of importance, from THIS CDT-l forum.

Thanks again, everyone.       fiddlehead