[Cdt-l] Cdt-l Digest, Vol 18, Issue 2

Jim Eagleton eagleton at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 2 14:45:50 CST 2009

Jim,

Where did you get 2600 miles??  Your web site says 2744 (to CC) and it includes Anaconda (so presumably the Anaconda cut-off) and does not include the Rocky Mt Nat. Park loop.  So if you add these back in would you be over 2800?  I thought the traill was about 2600 mi when I started, but now feel many cutoffs were built in the number.  I don't have mileages for any of the cutoffs but my rough feeling is:

The most popular Cutoffs

1.  Anaconda cuttoff (100 mi)

2.  Creede cutoff  (100 mi)

3.  Mack Inn cutoff (40 mi)

4.  Skip RMNP loop  (20 mi)

5.  Starbucks cutoff (20 mi)  (skip the Gore Range trail from Copper Mt.-Silverthorne)

6.  Rim Trail cuttoff missing Chain of Craters  (na, still current route)

7.  Short (Low water options) in the Bob  (20 mi?)

8.  Roads to Mexico (na, triple crowners' options)

9.  Of course, there are many small route options, many times the longer one is much faster or safer.

10.  Yellow blazing after bailing out for snow, fires, navigation mistakes or supply shortages  (variable, I had about 50 miles)

Of course there are many scenic detours.  I recommend bagging a 14'er:  Elbert (highest in CO) Torres (highest on the divide) or San Luis (easiest yet best for bragging rights because day hikers need a 3 day weekend just ot get to the trailhead)

Rambler