[Cdt-l] Your thoughts?

Jason E. Gillikin jason at gillikin.org
Fri May 1 15:19:57 CDT 2009

Hello, CDT'ers.

First, as a lurker here for several months, I want to thank those of you who
take the time to contribute.  The discussions on this list have been very
helpful to me, and I appreciate being able to access this list's collected
wisdom. :)

I am a 32-year-old male in great shape -- I'm a runner and a scuba diver and
a martial artist, blah blah blah.  I am in the final throes of a
once-in-a-lifetime relationship which was apparently not destined for this
particular lifetime.  I have no real reason to stay put; I have no assets,
no real liabilities, no dependents, and no strings holding me in place.  I
have thought about doing a long-distance hike for a while, and now that
Cupid has been so cruel to me, I figure that the time is right to think more
carefully whether I should hit the trail sooner rather than later.

That said, I have some questions.  I'm wondering if any of you have advice,
or can point me to some solid resources.

1. If my hiking experience has been limited to day trips (including to the
summit of Mt. McLaughlin in Oregon), is a long-distance or thru-hike of CDT
a dumbass idea?  Does wisdom suggest a shorter course, or maybe a different
trail?

2.  Realistically, how much solitude is there on the trail?  Is this the
great romantic trip to clear one's mind and re-set one's priorities that
legends are made of, or is it just a long walk?

3.  If I self-resupply along the way, how much cash should I have to get
from border to border?

4.  Are there there any out-of-the-ordinary selections for gear that would
be wise to bring?  Or are there things that might seem helpful at the
sporting-goods store that prove utterly useless in the field?

5.  Is there a handy resource for permits, regulations, etc?  Or do I have
to check state-by-state?

6.  I have a mini netbook computer, very small and light.  Is it foolish to
bring it along to write and blog while closer to civilization?

Thanks much, in advance, for sharing!  And yes, I know I've asked questions
that invoke reasonable judgment and don't have one right answer -- I'm just
looking for some perspective.  :)

-- Jason