[Cdt-l] Electronics

jaevans at pcisys.net jaevans at pcisys.net
Tue Feb 9 15:57:48 CST 2010

> But seriously, I am
> finding intense pressure from wife, kids and friends to know how I am
> doing and where I am. I guess they think an elderly guy needs all the
> help he can get.
>
> tumbleweed

Greetings,

  I've not attempted any of the big three trails yet and am section hiking
the Colorado Trail, but the issue of letting family know my condition and
whereabouts, I am sure, will be critical if/when I do take a long summer off.

  In the meantime, I am using a tiny ham radio Morse code transceiver on
many evenings to contact other hams around the continent who often are
receptive to sending out an email to my wife to let her know my status and
location.  I leave her a map of my route with mileage points along the way
and can relay those to the ham at the other end of the Morse code conversation.

  The transceiver and wire for antenna weighs about 1.5 lbs total including
batteries, fits in a pair of pencil box tins with my accessories, and is an
enjoyable way to wrap up the day.  Sometimes I am unable to raise someone
on the other end with my 3 to 5 watts and sometimes I am just too tired to
even string wire in the trees.  Of course, it does require a ham license
and some proficiency in Morse code, but the tests are relatively easy and a
code test is no longer required.  Code is a very efficient mode of
communication - very little power is needed to get through most noisy
conditions to hams all around the world.

  Lots of hams with interest in outdoor activities often mix radio with
backpacking.  Anyway, if anyone is interested, I can provide pointers.

john