[Cdt-l] Gila River route water levels and Black Mtn route snow levels

R Smith ronyon at comcast.net
Tue Mar 16 20:20:53 CDT 2010

You're not alone - I'm sure most of us NOBOs are faced with the same
question. In my case, my immediate concern is whether to send a resupply box
to Doc Campbell's and risk having to backtrack south to re-join the trail,
or use an alternate resupply strategy.

I've pretty much written off hiking the Lower Gila due to high-water
expectations, but still have hopes of hiking the Middle Fork, north of the
confluence. My present plan is to get to Gila Hot Springs / Doc Campbell's
via one of the Wolf alternates mentioned at the beginning Gila Wilderness
Segment Section 2. After picking up my box at Doc Campbell's, I can then,
hopefully, slosh my way up the Middle Fork to Snow Lake, then on to Pie
Town. If not (if Middle Fork is too high), I will have to figure out the
best way to get over to FR150, then up to Pie Town.

I presently don't have plans to take the Black Range route as an alternate.
However, if I ran into another hiker who knew a lot more than I do about
that route, I will be taking maps and might be tempted.

I would also appreciate any feedback on my above thoughts and assumptions.

Ron