[Cdt-l] Doc Campbell's in New Mexico

Matthew Edwards Hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Wed Aug 24 23:28:43 CDT 2011

Okay, I have to tell a hilarious story about Doc Campbell's Post that happened in 2010.
I sent a box there. After getting the "speech" about charging $2 and the hauling of trash etc.
For a moment i thought about paying him 40 bucks and saying "here is for me and the next 19 thru hikers.."
Luckily I suspended my smart as$ thoughts..thinking (rightly!) it probably would not have gone over too well.
I payed the $2 fee and happily went outside to eat the wonderful home made icecream he sells.
"Doc" did not seem to be in the greatest of moods until i went back inside and bought 40 bucks worth
of resupply food from his store.
Then three other thrus (Chief Chihuahua, Jack Beanstalk, and Sarong) arrived and bought equal amounts of food from the store as well as
mulitple containers of the glorious home made icecream.
This made "Doc" VERY happy.
He was so happy that the postal lady delivering the mail came outside and told me she had never seen him in such a good mood!
Well, the good times were short lived..
A couple that had been camped down at the hot springs came up the driveway with a big dog in tow..
Their big dog went right after "Doc's" pet duck in the pond in front of the store.
Doc was not too happy after that!
It was closing time so old Doc locked up his duck, hopped on his ATV, and rode off in a cloud of dust.
Then we all went down to soak at the clothing optional hot springs.. Though thankfully we all chose to keep our shorts on!
The hot springs are run by "Doc's" sister.
They attract quite an interesting array of.. individuals.
 I am not making this up!
Actually there is more to this tale but.. anyways..
Well the long and short of it is.. all four of us hikers decided we probably could have resupplied from Doc's store.
He had in fact stocked a huge selection of freeze dried "hiker" foods we did not have the heart to tell him we do not eat.
He did have real cheese, tortillas, fritos, candybars, peanutbutter, crackers, quick oats, tater buds, and basically enough eclectic stuff
to make a full resupply, albeit at relatively high prices, but in keeping with a remotely located store such as it is.
At any rate we could have saved the postage and hassle and that would have more than offset the prices.
If you ain't picky you can resupply at Doc's.
-Iceaxe