[Cdt-l] CDT thru Glacier NP

Charlie Thorpe charliethorpe at att.net
Mon Jul 9 12:58:13 CDT 2012

Hello All -

I am slowly getting ready for another section hike of the CDT later this summer and have a question for those of you who have walked the trail ahead of me.

I will be hiking the section from Rogers Pass (below the Bob) to the US/CAN border.  My trail partner for this section just emailed me that the Glacier NP backcountry reservations guy suggested roadwalking from Marias Pass (between the Bob and Glacier NP) to Two Medicine where we would stand in line to grab any unreserved campsites available for the rest of the hike through the NP.  The backcountry reservations guy estimated a 10% chance of getting anything near what we would want.

This strikes me as being a tad less than hiker-friendly...even worse than Yellowstone NP.  The backcountry guy at Yellowstone gave me reservations that had a mix of 8 and 28 mile days (which I completely ignored once I got into the backcountry).  BTW, none...not one...of the more convenient (but supposedly already reserved) backcountry campsites had anyone in them...

I am curious what other northbound hikers have done in Glacier NP.  I am asking what you have heard others have done, of course, NOT about what you might have done yourself (wouldn't want any black helicopters to swoop in to nab you in the middle of the night <g>).

Thanks!

- Charlie