[Cdt-l] 11 miles of new trail open in Carson Forest Northern NM Seg 31

eagletonjim at aol.com eagletonjim at aol.com
Tue May 1 14:08:12 CDT 2012

ca 10/1/10, I met Jerry and the mapping crew after dark in Lagunitas Campground.? Jerry, thanks for the water.??The new trail was nearly complete.?
?
?
Thanks for the update and glad to hear the trail was completed during the pcta turmoil.?
?
I encourage thru hikers to hike the new trail and give their feedback to Ley.? In a very limited survey, it seems that most hikers are still?taking the?roads from near? Lagunitas Campground to Cumbrus Pass.?
I think this relo is good, but it does have some characteristics of ones that are slow to be adopted by the thru community.? Some of the trail at the top of Brazos Ridge is just fiberglass stakes in the ground.? The footing is good, but not as good as the road.? In two years I did not see a single vehicle on the road and the campground road is just as likely to have traffic, although for a much shorter distance.? Of course for nobos, you may not see much of the upper road under the snow.? When on top of the ridge, the snow was firm and we essentially took the new trail.?
Jim / Rambler