[Cdt-l] Ghost ranch

Matthew Edwards iceaxehikes at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 20:46:56 CDT 2012

This is one of those amazing places on the Continental Divide Trail.
They really gain nothing material by hosting us, yet they continue to do so.
I am not a religious man myself (though i am spiritual) but their example
of hospitality inspires me to be a more hosiptable person.

I will never forget the friendly nature in which i was personally welcomed
in this place and how i was never confronted
with their views of religion whilst staying there.
Ghost Ranch is a beautiful place with beautiful souls.
Even the Canada geese made flights over the place which was inspiring to a
CDT hiker.

When you are invited to breakfast, eat your first serving but wait until
everyone is done before seeking
second helpings.
I know we are a hungry bunch but this is exactly the place we need to be
grateful and not greedy.
(Trust me.. that food is very good)
Let's be careful at Ghost Ranch so those behind us can share in the
friendship found there.
Not saying anyone in particular.. just that i was told they wait until
"firsts" are served before "seconds" are taken.
Yes, we paid.. Yes, we can be patient.
Just above Ghost ranch (on the CDT NoBo) are the real gems..
Let me just say there are places here beyond the CDT that are worth the
effort ;)
 I won't spoil it but there are some special things that tourists don't
generally see and CDT hikers might find fascinating.

-iceaxe