[Cdt-l] Largest Food & Water Carries

Sean Nordeen sean.nordeen at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 15:29:52 CDT 2013

Hi,

I'm starting to look at hiking the CDT in 2015.  Its a little early to be
buying Yogi's guide since she'll make several changes before then.  I do
have a copy of Ley's maps from a year ago that I'm starting to look at.
However, any gear purchases between now and then need to be made with the
CDT in mind.  As such, I was wondering what some of the largest food and/or
water carries that I can expect on typical routes and what sort of mileage
you were doing at the time.  My current thinking is to follow the
designated route except when the scenery is clearly better on another
route, but that could change after contact with the trail.

My current backpack is an ULA CDT, which I admit to some thoughts of how
appropriate it would be to hike the CDT while carrying a CDT.  I've done
some 6 days of food with 4L of water carries with it and while there is
still room for more a few days more, I have to wonder about more weight to
it.  Coming out of town with that sort of load, by the end of the day, my
shoulders are a little sore.  Not bad and by the next morning they have
completely recovered.  So I wondering just how much more would I need to
carry, because if its much more or needs to be done several times, then I
may need to consider taking my ULA Circuit or buying another backpack.   I
hiked the PCT in 2009 and though I would suffer a little bit on a section
or two, I would think nothing about hiking it again with my ULA CDT, though
I would resupply accordingly (ie. over Kearsarge Pass instead of straight
through to VVR).

What I don't want is my gear choices to limit my route options where I am
forced to use some of the cutoffs that I would otherwise avoid.  Its one
thing if I want to do a certain route, its another thing if I'm forced to
because of poor planning in my choices in gear.

Thanks,
Miner