[Cdt-l] FW: hitching to the start: east glacier to chief mtn

Doug Carlson doug-sue at centurylink.net
Fri May 10 23:49:10 CDT 2013

From: Doug Carlson [mailto:doug-sue at centurylink.net]
Sent: Friday, May 10, 2013 9:48 PM
To: 'Jim and_or Ginny Owen'
Subject: RE: [Cdt-l] hitching to the start: east glacier to chief mtn

Hitching....

Hanging out a Gila Hot Springs for 2 days letting weather clear and my
resupply box arrive, I saw a family pull into Doc Campbell's trading post.
My box wasn't expected in for a couple of hours to I approached the family
and started talking to them and pretty soon I had a ride over to the Cliff
Dwellings and back.

funny story, I came out of the Addie Canyon trail between hwy 35 and 15 at
the end of an all day snow.  I was a bit well wet and chilly and not sure
exactly where on hwy 15 I was so I tried to stop a few cars becuase on that
road that is all the cars there are.

One slowed down and then swerved around me.  one stopped but he had a small
car, was smoking and had 4 lare dogs in it.  Better to die in the cold.

Behind him two Mormon missionaries came up and stopped.  Asked me how I was
doing, no, they couldn't give me a ride, it was not their car, against
whatever policy they live by.  then one of them tried to give me the book of
Mormon. I declined- told them I had no room to share to carry it.

They drove on.  the next car heading north was a lady who took me all the
way up to Gila Hot Springs where I paid my $10 for 2 nights.

I have been missing the trail.  I am comfortable being alone.  the stays in
my pack broke a mooring and they needed to be fixed.  Well, the pack is
fixed now and my GPS is still loaded.

I have been thinking.