[pct-l] Solar panels

matt maxon matt at mattmaxon.com
Wed Aug 16 08:05:26 CDT 2006

Craig
I'd suggest you use Lithium batteries, I have surveyed the Southern
portion of the trail from Campo to Cottonwood Pass using several
different GPS units and power sources. I think you'll have trouble
powering your unit on Solar.

I have experimented with several external power sources, and found
probably the best was a D cell setup I made from a headlamp power pack.
Never did kill those batteries. Of course you have the wires to deal
with but I found an external antenna a must! And external data storage,
I was using a GPS datalogger until it croaked early this year, I'll now
use a PDA to store the data using G7toCE

I'd like to see your setup... post a photo somewhere or eamil one direct

Regards
Trail90