[pct-l] [OT] What is anti-social

Jon Danniken danniken at comcast.net
Wed Dec 6 18:53:05 CST 2006

Craig Stanton wrote:
> Wanting to hike alone sounds anti-social to me. Being with people is
> social, so wanting to be without people is anti-social. That's just the
> way "anti" works. And now we're into a discussion on language instead of
hiking.

> This doesn't make hiking alone a bad thing, that's some people's
> preconcevied idea that being social is nice and thsu anti-social is bad.
> I am certainly hoping for some alone time too, and in such cases
> I will be being anti-"social".

Applying the term "anti" to anything implies a deliberate, conscious
rebuttal of something, or a condition of being in antithesis of, in this
case, society.

I think it deserves mentioning that not everyone who who is not constantly
open towards random interaction with others is being anti-social, they are
just a little
more particular than the majority of people about when and with whom they
choose to engage in social intercourse.

Call it having a more discriminating social palate, if you will, but not
anti-social.

Jon