[pct-l] fire identification request

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Wed Dec 27 11:36:24 CST 2006

Eckert,

I believe that Ancient Brit is referring to the "Fowler Peak" fire.  The trail was closed for no more than 3-4 days at the Fowler Peak trailhead just before you drop down into the Middle Fork of the Feather.  I went through this area on the first day the trail was re-opened on July 17th.  The fire was only 95 acres in size but it was on the steep hillside just above the river.  A "chemical" drop had been made on the fire and the bridge over the Feather was seriously discolored as a result.  I was surprised to see the size of several old-growth trees that had been fallen along the trail by the "hot-shot" crew that was fighting the fire.  Even though the fire was small in size, the detour that had been set-up forced some hikers to detour quite a long way around this small closure.  I do know that several folks received an escort through the burn by the hot-shot crew saving them the hassle of walking around the closure.

Elevator

From: Eckert <jape at nethere.com>