[pct-l] to olympia from manning park

Shauna csxii at schizoaffective.org
Fri Apr 6 12:57:21 CDT 2007

On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 10:14:17 -0700 (PDT), roni h <roni_h3000 at yahoo.com> had
this to say:

>Actualy I believe that both Roger and I were aware of that city, abscure as it may be.
>
>  Its just that walking via the PNT and the olympic peninsula sounds much nicer than backtracking on the pct for sevral hundred miles and then road walking to the west from about mt' rainiers area.  The weather on the PNT should be significently drier than on the pct  (except for the high olympics) thanks to the lower elevation and the rain shadow from the olympics.

On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 10:14:17 -0700 (PDT), roni h <roni_h3000 at yahoo.com> had
this to say:

>Actualy I believe that both Roger and I were aware of that city, abscure as it may be.

It would be understandable for someone from a foreign country like Israel
or California  to have not heard of Oly.

Is Sacramento still the capital of California or is it Athens?  (grin)

Certainly some of you have heard of Olympia beer.

>  Its just that walking via the PNT and the olympic peninsula sounds much nicer than backtracking on the pct for sevral hundred miles and then road walking to the west from about mt' rainiers area.  The weather on the PNT should be significently drier than on the pct  (except for the high olympics) thanks to the lower elevation and the rain shadow from the olympics.

Yes part of that plan does sound like an excellent idea, but not all of it.

You  might want to get onto the PNT as a way to get to the Olympic
Peninsula  and then hop onto the  Gray wolf trail/ Dosewallips  Trail /
West Dosewallips trail/ North Fork Skokomish Trail/ Lower South Fork
Skokomish trail.   From the Lower South Fork Skokomish trail you could
follow these directions BACKWARDS to get to Shelton

 From US Highway 101, turn west
onto the Skokomish Valley Road (6 miles north
of Shelton and 7 miles south of Hoodsport).
Drive west on the Skokomish Valley Road from
the George Adams State Fish Hatchery for about
5 miles to FS Road #23. Turn right onto FS #23
and drive 9.0 miles to FS Road #2353. Turn
right onto FS #2353 and drive approximately _
mile to the South Fork Skokomish River Bridge.
Cross the bridge and make a sharp turn to the
left. Drive to the trailhead on the left.
LeBar Horse Camp entrance is on the right.

 Once in Shelton you could catch a bus to Olympia for one dollar .

 Hiking to the coast on the PNT would put her over 100 miles in the wrong
direction.

BTW Roni I read your PNT journal last week and I very much enjoyed it.