[pct-l] Gear for 2008

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Thu Dec 27 06:31:49 CST 2007

For the new hiking campaign, one thing that is really neat to do each year
is to upgrade your gear.  Something that will make you excited for the new
hiking season.

It might be going lighter with some piece of gear or improving the quality
of a gear item.  For the 2008 campaign I am thinking of upgrading my  optics
and my umbrella.  I can test them out on the February Grand Canyon  expedition
to Phantom Ranch.

1. If you have ever looked through a high quality binocular or monocular,
you know exactly what I mean.  It is breathtaking compared to the normal  optics
you usually find along the trail. I  am considering the Zeiss 10X25
monocular.  I carry a  monocular now and it cost about $30-40 from REI.  It is not bad
and I use  it to scout out bears, mountain lions and renegade Indians.  Plus,
it is  cool to checkout natural features along the trail.  A full moon is neat
 through it too at higher elevations. The new monocular weighs just over 3
ounces.  I am not happy about the weight, but it is not too bad.  My  current
monocular weighs a little less than that.  Super quality optics  weigh more.

2. The other item is a new Senz wind resistant mini umbrella
(_www.totes-isotoner.com_ (http://www.totes-isotoner.com) ).  It  weighs 10 ounces and is
rated up to 40 MPH.  The original is rated up to 70  MPH, but weighs 15 ounces.
I bought some silver mylar (in the medical  section/emergency blanket) from
REI today to cover it with.

Your pal, RustyKnees aka RustyCan