[pct-l] Descending from San Jacinto to Palm Springs

Andrew Skurka askurka at comcast.net
Sun Feb 4 22:24:57 CST 2007

What are the best options for descending off San Jacinto and down to Palm
Springs/Cathedral City if you do not want to take the tram or follow the PCT
north to San Gorgonio Pass?  I've identified four possible routes, described
below, and I'd appreciate if anyone familiar with this area could comment on
the feasibility of them, and/or offer better options.

1- The only all-on-trail route appears to follows the PCT south to near
Tunnel Springs, and then takes another trail east into Palm Canyon, at which
point I'd have to backtrack north.

2- Same as above, except near Boot Spring I could descend to Bald Mtn and
into Hells Kitchen, and then go XC into Palm Canyon.

3- Descend to the tram station, and then follow beneath it to the road.  My
maps don't indicate anything, but I thought there might be an
access/maintenance/construction road for the towers.

4- Bushwhack and scramble down one of the canyons, like Andreas or (dare I
say) Tahquitz.

Thanks for your help.

Andy

Andrew Skurka