[pct-l] Bringing friends to hike part of the trail - could use some suggestions

montypct montypct at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 20:27:35 CST 2007

  Would starting a week or two early mean more
> cold nights?  Does a couple weeks make much of a difference down there?

Never can tell.

2004 Laguna was a little cold and very windy the day before the Kick Off.
Other than that it was very hot daytime before and after the Kick Off.

In 2005 I finished the first 150 miles a week before the Kick Off.  Laguna
was extremely cold, very thick frost that didn't melt til almost noon, and
there was about a 25mph wind.  At Lake Morena I had sheets of ice on my
tent.  Lucky 5 was cold but OK in early April.  Over night north of
Chihuahua Valley Road cool but just fine in March.  3 or 4 days after the
Kick Off was a huge cold downpour.

2006  Before the Kick Off Palms to Pines to Scissors Crossing were very
mild.  Not hot, not cold...

I like hiking A section SOBO.  I think going south gives me an illusion of
hiking downhill.