[pct-l] Giardia

t.n. turner barnumbaileypdx at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 14 12:43:29 CDT 2007

I hiked 1500+ miles of my thru-hike and I only treated water maybe 5 times this year. I never had any adverse affects from the lack of treatment. I have also hiked here in Oregon for the last 16 years and rarely, if ever, treated the water here and again, no intestinal issues ever.

But Catra is not the first this year to end her hike due to what is being termed, Giardia. It may very well be Giardia, but I believe that it is just 'dirt' from 'hiker hygiene' and sharing food. Which to me isn't Giardia, because it's always connected with water sources. And as far as I know, none of the hikers that had to get off, either completely or just for a few weeks, never were diagnosed definitively with Giardia. Whatever.

While hiking I didn't accept any unwrapped food, no dipping into baggies for a handful of gorp or other goodies. And I didn't offer to share with others from baggies that I had already dipped into, I would offer to pour some into their hand or dish from an untouched bag.

I had to end my hike early due to my back seizing up and I still can't hike with a pack and sleep out. I tried slack packing parts, but it was just too difficult for my support folks to continue to do this. Anyway, I wish it had been Giardia, it at least can be cured easily, not so for my back! Ah well, there's always section hiking it!!!

See ya out there,
Tammy