[pct-l] The tourture behind goose down

patti kulesz peprmintpati88 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 7 19:37:15 CST 2008

I know it's aweful...that's why I have never used down myself. Plus I'm allergic! But yeh it's very cruel. They get plucked four times a year. So not only are they plucked alive but they take the feathers that keep them warm from the most sensitive spots on their bodies. They also need the feathers of about 50 birds, if not more, to fill a bag! I worked in a camp store and the Western Mountaineering rep told me that they only use the molted feathers, but I find that hard to believe with all the sleeping bags that are readily available by that company and at the quality of down they give you. The higher the number for the down the softer the feathers are and the closer to the body they need to come from. In another words...their new feathers. Most Western Mountaineering bags are 850-900 down...that's top quality down...please.

 Kudos to you Panama for carrying that extra pound and saving ALOT of geese!

patti