[pct-l] fuller ridge question

robo hiker robohiker at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 6 10:23:41 CST 2008

thanks again, i have extensive off trail experience here in the north east, in winter and summer conditions,fog rain,snow. through thick spruce laden forest. i also have plenty of experience grabbing onto trees to save my arse from falling into oblivion. with your knowledge of the area will i be pulling out all the stops up there? i have 30 years of mountain travel under my belt.
thanks again> Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 08:12:24 -0800> Subject: Re: [pct-l] fuller ridge question> From: AsABat at 4Jeffrey.Net> To: robohiker at hotmail.com; pct-l at backcountry.net> > I should add that in April 2006, two weeks before ADZ, I hiked from Saddle> Junction to Seven Pines Trail. Navigation was not too difficult, with> reasonable map and compass skills, until we dropped off the PCT onto Seven> Pines Trail. Once we hit the bottom of the bowl the trail was impossible> to find without expert compass skills, and a GPS helped. With sunlight> fading away because of someone's slow speed (mine), we finally gave up> trying to stay on the trail and used GPS and compass to beeline out to the> road. With me was a SAR member, and I have almost 40 years experience.> > AsABat> > On Wed, February 6, 2008 7:54 am, AsABat wrote:> > There can be two challenges on Fuller Ridge.> >> > The first (which applies to much of the Tahquitz and San Jacinto area) is> > navigation. On the map cited, you may find deep snow in the bowls such as> > the one between the Seven Pines and Fuller Ridge trails, and along the PCT> > due west of Little Round Valley. If no tracks are visible you will spend> > some time navigating, as the trail undulates a bit in that area. Also note> > that just because you find tracks does not mean they are going the right> > way - they could be lost, as happened a couple years ago when one lost PCT> > hiker followed another lost hiker's tracks to their camp.> >> > The second is exposure. Once the PCT crosses to the north side of Fuller> > Ridge (about 8600 feet), there will be more snow on a steep side slope.> > Care must be taken here. When snow and ice are present, ice axes are> > usually advised. Even without snow, take care as fallen leaves may cover> > icy patches.> >> > It is still early to predict conditions, but there's lots of snow right> > now.> >> > AsABat> >> > On Wed, February 6, 2008 6:34 am, robo hiker wrote:> >>> >> i found a nice map of what seems to be a section of fuller ridge. i've> >> heard that it can be a real challenge with snow on it. can you tell if> >> any> >> of those difficult parts are shown on the map i'm providing? i'm used to> >> snow travel ,and my navagational skills are well very good, i'm thinking> >> i'll be giving it a go no matter how much snow is on it. any insight> >> will> >> be appreciated, thanks> >>> >> map -> http://www.summitpost.org/images/original/204109.jpg> >> > _______________________________________________> > Pct-l mailing list> > Pct-l at backcountry.net> > To unsubscribe or change list options (digest, etc):> > http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l> >>