[pct-l] A potential member of the ADZ herd

Freiman, Paul pfreiman at ucsd.edu
Thu Feb 28 01:20:54 CST 2008

This herd talk is annoying to me.  I'm a solitary hiker, but I loved starting with the group last year.  It is a great way to make friendships that you wouldn't ordinarily make.  (I didn't hike with anyone, but met them at water stops).  I think the herd is a good thing.  It's very easy to counter the herd if you want to.  You can start a week before the ADZ, then come back to the event.  You can start after the ADZ.  I really hate to ruin a cottage industry by not having the ADZ exist.  I think sales of the ultralight equipment would really take a hit without the ADZ.  I really appreciate Glen, Henry, Yogi and the others.  We need each other.  So thank you Strider, Kelty Kid, AsABat, Monty and the many others who give us the ADZ.  I wouldn't have found out about the love for the PCT in 2004 if not for this wonderful event.

Capt Bivy