[pct-l] "Oregon don't look good"

OMullis omullis at aircanopy.net
Mon Jun 2 18:21:19 CDT 2008

Lordy, no plans for 40-mile days here!

For Mexi-Can thru-hikers, it seems Oregon is a little anti-climactic (after
the Sierra,
perhaps it would be) and mainly a chance to rack up high miles underfoot on
the way
to Manning Park.  It sure seems to get rather quick treatment in the Class
DVDs.

But for me, Oregon will be my entire hike.  I have 5 weeks off work &
exactly 30
hiking days between my flights into Medford and out of Portland.  Unless
compelled
by conditions on the trail (water, campsite, bugs, critters, etc), I don't
aim to do more
than 15-16 miles per day.  If I start slow, I may have to shoot for 20 mile
days now &
then to keep up the requisite average pace.

I'm hoping to do those miles and have time to enjoy the scenery and solitude
along
the way, such as they may be.  If I can get enough photos deserving of such,
I may
do a PCT-OR slideshow DVD of my own, and a Blurb book as well.

Thanks to everyone for helping a newbie.  I'll probably try to ping several
of you
off-list as the summer progresses to see how Oregon's looking, if that won't
be a
bother.  I sincerely appreciate your help, your experience and your
opinions.

Ollen
Venus, TX
PCT-OR Sept2008