[pct-l] packaging an ice ax

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Tue Mar 25 19:18:54 CDT 2008

I just bought an ice ax.  It came in a package that was created by
grafting two Priority Mail shirt boxes together.  I think I might be
sending this thing to myself at a couple places along the trail, and
then sending it home.  This packaging technique might be hard to
duplicate.  Can any on talk about how they packaged their ax for
mailing from/to the trail?
~~~~~~~~
I've bought several vintage wooden ice axes on ebay and the simplest way to
ship it is to take a big sheet of cardboard, and fold it in half. Place the
ice axe head inside the fold, and trim to fit. Be sure to tape cardboard
pads onto the 3 sharp ends of the stick. Then tape the hell out of it. By
thinking outside of a box,,, it's a very simple way to ship the ice axe to
yourself anywhere along the trail.