[pct-l] Emergency Spot GPS vs. PLB devices

Bill Burge bill at burge.com
Wed Apr 1 17:08:11 CDT 2009

Realize there is a _significant_ difference in the technologies used
in the two devices.

The response time of a true PLB is faster and more reliable than the
private company technology used by the Spot.

With the true PLB, there is no "tracking" or "watch my
progress" (which are REALLY cool); but only "SAVE MY BUTT!!"  While
the Spot can send a signal like that, it sends it to a group of
satellites with less coverage, using a transmitter with less power to
a response group that jumps through extra hoops before they pretty
much just contact the people who would have gotten the true PLB signal
in the first place.  Both groups attempt to contact the owner to see
if it's a false alarm, then attempt to contact your listed emergency
contacts on the device registration to see if it's a false alarm, THEN
attempt to contact search and rescue services.  Don't think that
because you hit the "Oh CRUD!" button that choppers are dispatched to
your location.

Also, if the built-in GPS can't get a fix, the true PLB can be tri-
angulated.  I'm not sure that is true for the Spot.

My GF and I used my Spot on our whirl wind drive across the US.  We
had to get a car from Florida to Los Angeles and had about 3.5 days to
do it.  I set up the "public access" Spot page and sent the URL to
here mom (who was worried), to our friends (who were gonna take care
of my son if we didn't get back in time), and to an ever expanding
group who thought it was cool.  By the time we left Phoenix, we had
about a dozen people watching it!  We will probably do something
similar for the PCT.

BillB
geek (in case you hadn't guessed ;-)