[pct-l] Tarps, Tents & Knots

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 15 02:07:23 CST 2009

Good point Jason,
were you reading my mind?
A taught tarp is a happy tarp.  But geez, don't rip the grommets out !
I'm going to add my two cents worth here.
Esspecially for the knot challenged who wish to give tarping a try.
IMHO the single most important knot you'll want to learn is the Rolling
Hitch (also known I think as the tent hitch for good reason).  This knot is
handy for when you loop a guy line cord around something like a stake or
rock and back to itself. Tied properly it can be slid along up the tensioned
cord and will not slip back.
The Bowlin is a good knot for tying cord to a grommet where no adjustment
would be necesarry.
Two Half Hitches can also be used like the rolling hitch, but will be more
prone to slip.
Clove hitch is good for tying off around a branch log, securing a guy line
to a hiking pole.
Figure Eight with a loop for using the loop over a pole tip or some object
and being able totension all directions.
Fisherman knot.  This is a very good way to tie two peices of cord together.
Double Sheet Bend.  A good knot for tying two different sizes of line
together.
I'm not a big fan of the square knot; I use it to tie my shoes and that's
about it.
My philosophy regarding knots is this, a good knot is one that can take a
load and then be untied easily.
Except for the Fisherman knot, all the other knots I listed above, in most
cicumstances, can take a load and be broken and untied with relative speed
and ease.  Rigging your tarp you wont experience the heavy loads we do
sailing, but it's still nice to be able to change long and short guy lines
or add to them some times.  I've had numerous occasions to use the rolling
hitch to take hundreds of pounds of load off a line when out yacht racing in
order to either clear an overide on a winch, make relead adjustments and all
sorts of fixes.  The trick there is to be able to get it done fast, take the
load, fix the issue,and release and be able to untie the temporary load
line, clear it and either get back to wherever I need to be.
The bowline we use primarily for attaching the sheetlines to the headsails.
They can take a tremendous load repeatedly tacking upwind and still be
untied easily for sail changes etc...  For a few years we used fancy cast
stainless snaps and have recently gone back to using bowlines.
When we pull masts out of boats I use a clove hitch around the base beneath
some hard mounted bracket or gooseneck and back it up with a simple half
hitch.  If the base of the mast has no hardware to prevent the line slipping
up, I use a rolling hitch and test it by loading the crane, but they always
seem to grip nicely.  And after picking up two to five hundred pound rigs
again the key is the knot did its job safely and then was easily untied.
Jason was reading my mind because earlier today I was looking in my copy of
"Mountianeering: The Freedom of the Hills", because I was thinking of this
very topic since some folks seem to be getting interested in tarps.  This
book has an excellent section discussing these knots with decent diagrams.
It also has a nice page about tarps and shows good examples of how they can
be rigged.
If you can peak at one of these books at an REI or find a knot tying book at
the library or online I highly recommend learning a half dozen useful basic
knots.  There will be a quiz at VVR for anyone who don't clear out before I
get there, and anyone who doesn't pass will have to take the class.
Sorry for the sailing shpeel, it's in the blood, and I use knots everyday.
If anyone needs help in my area getting a few knots down and rigging a tarp
in various configurations I'm right on LA Harbor and be glad to give some
instruction.
Knotty hiker