[pct-l] The parental aspect of hiking

Sasha Leidman sleidman at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 22:49:37 CDT 2009

Though this may be a bit of a tangent from normal conversation on this email
list, I was wondering what ages did you start going off and doing multiple
week hiking trips? Would you let your high school child go on one without
adult supervision? Has the social standards for hiking ages become more
liberal or conservative since the time you've started? I'm seventeen and I'm
hoping to section hike the pct sobo this summer. I've asked an number of my
friends from all across California if they'd like to join me. While they're
all avid hikers and are usually thrilled at the idea, I have not been able
to get parental consent from any of them. What are your opinions? Has this
impacted you in the past? Thanks.

--
Sasha Leidman
sleidman at gmail.com