[pct-l] Hiking wet

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Nov 25 18:28:32 CST 2009

I ended up buying a cheap plastic poncho at the gas station in
Snoqualmie Pass. To make it more like a parcho (which I really wanted
but didn't want to pay $110 for, thinking I would hardly ever use
it), I threaded some elastic cord through the back side bottom seam.
Then I tied large safety pins to the two ends of the elastic and when
I put on the poncho, I pinned the safety pins together at my waist
like a belt buckle. This made it kind of like wearing a belt, but it
also tucked the back part snug around my pack. It was difficult to
put on and I only wore it once, but it worked really well. I think I
would do something similar but a little nicer on my silnylon poncho.

What I didn't like about the rain was having wet feet. If I ever get
a sewing machine, I want to make rain chaps that tuck around my shoes
so that water can't run down into my shoes.