[pct-l] Hypothermia (was "Earthquake!")

Eugene atetuna at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 9 13:38:04 CDT 2010

My guess is that the temperatures started in the low to mid 50's and dropped into the low 40's as we ended our hiking day.  At night Evan saw 29 degrees...in the shack...it may have gotten colder at some point during the night.

I have to guess wind speeds too.  It was fairly calm when we started.  I think the winds reached 40-50 mph near the end.  I was getting blown around near the end and I weighed over 200 lbs and the pack I'm carrying is nowhere near ultralight...and the pack was gaining extra weight from the rain.  It wasn't nearly as bad as it can get at the overlook just past Pioneer Mail Picnic Area.  I put away the umbrella a little over an hour before the end because the wind was severely deforming it, even pointing it into the wind.  The Golite umbrella sure does resist breaking even when it's brutally flipped inside-out.

I do agree that gear should be carried for bad weather, or at least make sure to get to a good shelter every time there's bad weather.  Unfortunately some of us have to push the limits before we'll act like they exist.  Hopefully others are wiser.

Sir Mix-a-lot

CC: pct at fisler.ch; pct-l at backcountry.net