[pct-l] Boots and Ankles

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Thu Aug 26 17:12:19 CDT 2010

  I stopped wearing leather boots in 1994.  My feet grew on a long
section hike and I had NB 802s mailed to me at Diamond Lake.  I sprained
my ankle often, once badly enough I had to leave the trail.  The last
couple years I've played golf almost daily on a very hilly course that
is poorly maintained.  I walk on hummocks, grassy tufts, snake holes,
etc.  I wear tevas or NB running shoes.

The consequence of an hour and a half a day of walking on uneven
surfaces is incredibly stronger ankles than ever before in my life.
This summer I fell off "those little rocks" that before would send me
rolling to the ground (I fell often enough to perfect falling into
rolling).  It helps to use poles, but what before would have sent me to
the ground, was a minor irritant...

Jeffrey Olson
Martin, SD