[pct-l] Bad weather shelter testing--now!

Nathan Miller erccmacfitheal at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 19 21:02:48 CST 2010

I had an excellent opportunity to test my TarpTent Rainbow in nasty weather.  In Sept. of '08, a storm passed over Mt. Hood, delivering strong winds and rain.  I took cover in some small trees near the White River Overlook.  All night long, the wind blew, water splattered off the trees, and although the tent shuddered a lot, it held up perfectly, the stakes holding even in the loose-ish ash on the mountain.  At one point, a fir cone blew off a tree and bounced off the tent.  I stayed mostly dry, the only piece of gear getting wet being my Databook, which I'd placed in a bad spot.

-Nate the Trail Zombie

It never rains; it pours, hails, sleets, snows....