[pct-l] TP Backcountry Regulations

Sean 'Miner' Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Fri Jan 29 16:55:09 CST 2010

Back in December, I started the last thread on TP.  I had asked where else besides SEKI and Yosemite is it illegal to bury your TP (I even gave links to the regulations stating that it was illegal in those 2 places).  I never did get anyone to answer my original question and I was too lazy to search every land agency myself (hence the original question).  I actually would still like an answer to that question.  Instead we ended up with the same discussion everyone is having yet again a month latter.  As a side note, I did discover that at least in Yosemite, burning trash (and therfore TP) is against the regs there so that isn't a good solution for the entire trail either (never mind how it's against LNT anyway).

So at least in some places on the trail, all other methods (besides packing it out) of dealing with TP are a moot point (except the one where you don't use TP at all).  As for the plastic waste issue, you don't have to throw away your used TP bag everytime; I often reused the same bag for weeks, usually dumping the contents into a pit toliet at a trailhead.  But perhaps my trail diet differs from others as my TP on the trail was usually far cleaner and less was used then is the case at home.

-Miner