[pct-l] info on Stehekin and Manning Park

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Jul 26 17:29:49 CDT 2010

On Jul 26, 2010, at 1:55 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> -how to take the bus to/from Stehekin.  Where is the best place to
> be picked up and dropped off?
The bus stop at High Bridge. You'll be able to see it as you emerge
from the trail.

> -Is there a place to shower in Stehekin that does not require
> spending the night?
There's a pay shower in the bathroom next to the phone and laundry.

> -Any lodging or camping available in Stehekin?
Hotel/cabins and a campground. The campground is free but you have to
register. If the campground is full, ask them if you can camp in the
overflow. It's actually closer to "town" being right behind the
building where you register and up the hill. If they tell you there
is no more room for camping, there's a trail even further up the hill
from the overflow. Hint Hint.

Some people were camping in the gazebo by the lake while I was there.
This made the locals mad so don't do it.

> -Where is the best grub (besides the Bakery) in Stehekin?
The restaurant there is amazing. Best food on the trail. Better than
Drakesbad, I thought. Oh my, the pancakes with berries and pastry
cream were out of this world.

> -And what days/hours is the bakery open (we hear it is a must go-to
> place!)?
It's not open early enough in the morning for my preferences, but
while the bus is making rounds the bakery is open.

> -Is there lodging available at Manning Park?  If so, how much does
> it cost (approximately)?  Do you need reservations ahead of time?
There's a big hotel there and you can ask inside about staying at the
hostel. The hostel was pretty cheap and is across the highway.

> Any other helpful tips or info would be appreciated.  We do have
> our permit to enter Canada in case anyone might be concerned.
I found the very end of the trail to be a bit confusing. It used to
end at a place called Beaver Pond but signs and directions on the
trail lead you west of Beaver Pond and west of the lodge. You end at
a road that has nothing there, no sign, no trailhead parking,
nothing. It's kind of a let down, actually.

Also, make sure you pull the top off the pyramid at the border. I
didn't know about that. That's where the register is.

Diane