[pct-l] FOOD

Sean 'Miner' Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Mon May 17 21:03:18 CDT 2010

You don't say where in NoCal you are starting.

Though, If you aren't too picky or mind paying higher prices, for the most part you can resupply without much difficulty in NorCal(outside of Belden and Old Station).  However, Oregon is difficult.  The trail in Oregon is pretty remote and most people resupply out of tiny resorts in the mountains that have very limited choices beyond chips and candy and are really far from a town.  So most hikers shop for supplies in Ashland in Southern Oregon and Sisters in central Oregon while sending boxes everytwhere else (usually from Ashland).

Some towns/resorts/camps that are used for resuppy are pretty much off the trail only a short distance and can be easily walked.   For the rest, getting a ride into and out of town isn't too hard and I never felt unsafe with any of my rides on the PCT last year even though I hadn't done any hitchhiking outside of National Parks before.  Make a sign stating you are a PCT hiker and where you are going helps as some will give rides to hikers that wouldn't normally stop.