[pct-l] Wilderness Press Guides going out of print - Note from Jeff Schaffer

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Nov 3 18:57:45 CDT 2010

Oh my god! I feel like I've been kicked in the gut. Schaffer was like
a friend to me as I hiked the trail solo. I cheered when a flowery
phrase described the trail so perfectly. I giggled at the silly lines
of prose that commanded me to quicken my pace or ponder something. I
was amazed when he said I'd see baby quail and then I did. I chanted
the word "ultramafic" every time I saw a pitcher plant. I cursed his
name when the trail went uphill when he said it would go down. I
called him a liar and his book the Book of Lies. My hike was so much
enhanced by his work, he can never know. A free app simply cannot
take the place of his book. I am sad to see these changing times.

Diane