[pct-l] Gear question?

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Fri Sep 3 17:31:19 CDT 2010

On 9/3/2010 7:13 AM, Nicholas Fey wrote:
> Which leads me to my question of: Is it just that I am
> misinterpreting a persons reply to a gear question or is that
> honestly on the overall a large number of people on here have
> personal issues with brands?

There is nothing against brands per se. It is that there are a handful
of cottage industry manufacturers whose equipment serves the ultra light
and long distance hiking community better than more well known brands.

> By brands I mean like these: MSR - Any question about stoves lead to
> saying a home built alcohol stove was better

Nothing against MSR. It is just that for most PCT hikers a home made
alcohol stove works better. They are reliable, lightweight, and alcohol
is the most readily available stove fuel along the PCT.

> Any backpack brand other than "ULA" (who they are I don't know) is
> just bulky, heavy, and no good

There are about a half dozen brands of backpack that serve long distance
hikers well. ULA is one of the most recognized, and on the PCT, probably
the most popular. Backpacks made for the broader population tend to be
too bulky and heavy.

If you could choose between a 7 pound name brand backpack, and a 2 pound
cottage industry backpack that is designed for long distance
backpacking, which would you choose?

> Any tent question lead to that manufactured tents are as above bulky,
> heavy, and no good that a tarp would serve better

There are reputable cottage industry manufacturers of tents that work
well on the PCT. Tarps also work well. Most tents made by larger
manufacturers are heavier than necessary for PCT hikers. Tarps aren't as
warm as tents, but they are less prone to condensation. And since you
will carry your shelter much more than you will sleep under it, weight
is a significant factor.

It all comes down to what serves you best for the activity you engage
in. Most brand name backpacking gear is made for people who hike short
distances carrying heavy loads. That is not what PCT hikers do, so we
look for alternatives that serve us better.