[pct-l] differentiation by weight only

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Fri Sep 3 20:12:38 CDT 2010

Do PCT hikers choose their gear based on weight only as Scott implies?

>If you could choose between a 7 pound name brand backpack, and a 2 pound
>cottage industry backpack that is designed for long distance
>backpacking, which would you choose?

I wouldn't want something statistically lighter than anything comparable if it,

--was uncomfortable (thinking packs, pads)
--fell apart too soon requiring frequent replacement (thinking clothing or shoes)
--historically caught tables and forests on fire (thinking alcohol stoves)
--didn't keep me warm enough on enough nights (sleeping bags)
--was difficult to use, comparatively (small-mouthed plastic soda bottles as canteens)
--or was unsafe (twist-locked hiking poles)

I would think that PCT hikers would want the lightest version of something and still retain
--comfort
--durability
--ease of use
--safety

Isn't that what we're really saying? To select something based on weight alone is asking for serious compromise somewhere...

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd
South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150