[pct-l] Deep Creek Detour

Amanda L Silvestri aslive at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 5 16:01:35 CDT 2011

Patti, Halfmile

I drove on the detour road just the other day.  I was not able to drive the whole way as there was a flooded section where two streams converge and the water level was over two feet high.  This was near the convergence with 2N75.  I hiked from there out to HWY 173.  The rest of it looked good.  Low clearance vehicles are not advised for the Willow Creek crossing but higher clearance vehicles should do okay.

My understanding is that a storm is predicted up here from Thursday through Saturday with snow levels down to 2000 feet.  You may not be able to drive out there again until sometime the next week.

While I was scouting the area, I was thinking that water might be is short supply and need to be brought out there as the heard comes through.  I will be checking with the rangers to see how the streams flow/dry up, their office is closed until Thursday.

I don't know what you had in mind as far as magic but you should know that the area was burned in a wild fire just a few years back and is in the process of recovery.  Cooking fires may be prohibited.  I'll ask.

The thought had occurred to me to set something up on the south side of the Silverwood Dam.  There is access via a paved road (HWY173) and the parking lot is only 100 yards from where the trail crosses.  I checked with the rangers and a gas powered Bar-B-Q would be permitted.  My thinking ran toward Hot dogs, burgers and cold drinks.

Interested in working together?

Shepherd