[pct-l] Food Weight

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Wed Apr 6 17:52:35 CDT 2011

Scott, you could increase the average calorie count  by adding more
fat to your menu.
On my JMT speed hikes I rely heavily on macadamia nuts (200 calories
per ounce) and a dash of oil added to the meals to deliver around 5000
calories per day from my 21/4 lb. per day menu to average about 40 miles
per day.
I know I burn almost twice as many calories per day because I always
wind up loosing 8-10 lb. over the 5+ days.

JMT Reinhold

Interesting. 8 days of food for me would have weighed 20 lb. And I did
not break the food up into meals. I ate continuously all day with one
hot meal at some time in the day. It is hard to average more than 120
calories per ounce. At 120 calories per ounce, you are carrying about
half of the total food energy you need. I hope you are adding LOTS of
munchies.