[pct-l] Using Aqua Mira drops with silty water

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Aug 19 19:57:31 CDT 2011

I hiked the PCT in two sections between the months of May and August,
inclusive. I found that extremely silty/muddy water was very very
rare on both my trips. Many times it looked worse in the pool than it
turned out to be once I scooped some other. The worst-looking water I
saw were some of those glacial melt streams. I drank it silty. It was
not bad. We need minerals, right?

I carried a paint strainer which you can buy at the hardware store
for about $2, and you get two of them. I used the paint strainer to
hold my Aquamira kit so it sort of served dual use. You could also
use a piece o panty-hose for something similar, but I think the paint
strainer is more durable. I would cover the opening of my container
with the strainer and let the water go in. Sometimes this would be
difficult, like in a lake. For shallow lakes I had to squeeze my
container (a recycled plastic bottle) so that it would suck up the
water. The strainer would filter out larger things. Smaller things I
would just drink.

For pools that were too shallow, I had a bowl I ate my cereal from
each morning that I could use, or my cookpot. I liked having a
separate bowl because I didn't always get my pot clean after dinner.
The bowl was made by cutting the bottom off a large container of
yogurt. It weighed almost nothing. I thought for sure it would not
last. I've been using it for 3 years now.

Usually I didn't need to scoop water. I could seek a small trickle
upstream and just be patient using my Naked Juice bottle.

Diane