[pct-l] My third attempt to post a question

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Fri Feb 4 15:47:01 CST 2011

This question is posted every year.  When I went into this area two
years ago for a week long loop from Horseshoe Meadow, over trail pass,
down to the Kern Canyon, up to Lake South America, over the pass to
Tyndall Creek, and back along the PCT to Trail pass,  the Lone Pine
Rangers allowed me to move from bear box to bear box - my permit did not
require a canister.  I couldn't go in or out over Cottonwood Pass
because local regs said you needed a canister no matter what if you went
in that way.

However, I believe Rangers are within their rights to stop you and ask
to see a canister.  You don't have to be camping.  You need to be
carrying one in a canister required area. I believe this is what others
have experienced when hiking during prime time.  You likely won't run
into a ranger if you're going through in early to mid-june.

The safe way is to pick one up at Kennedy Meadows south and mail it off
at Sonora Pass/Kennedy Meadows north.

There's lots of strong opinions on this issue...

Jeffrey Olson
Martin, SD, where in 26 hours the temperature went from -22 to 40
degrees - a 62 degree shift...