[pct-l] When will the snow go?

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Tue Jul 5 09:53:54 CDT 2011

Thanks, Roleigh, for this prod...I was realizing that I didn't cover this area.

Ok, strangely enough, even with this hot weather, the pack isn't diminishing as fast as expected as noticed along the PCT in the Tahoe area during our continued coverage of the Rim Trail up here. However, it is melting at a rate of a foot a week or faster depending on aspect, tree cover, wind, rain, and so forth. So if Mountain Education says that there is still 3 to 8 feet of snow over the trail above 8,000, then expect at least one hot month for a significant portion of it to vanish.

The snow will probably remain over the passes this summer into August. Technical gear like Kahtoola KTS crampons or ice axes will not be necessary as long as the packed trail does not freeze at night (highly unlikely), just use deep-lugged boots that can both grip the soft snow surface and hold an edge while on traverses (unless you're on a packed trail).

Again, the biggest danger out there is haste when it comes to the high-speed-and-volume creek crossings that will persist through July (as long as the snow remains). We've never seen such high and roaring creeks! There are ripping streams where guide books say that it is just a "seasonal creeklet!" If you are in the Sierra "early," there may be snow bridges in the shade on which to cross, otherwise, the typical choices of logs and rocks may still keep you dry and out of the currents.

If you are going in during the height of the thaw or melt, which is right now, search great distances up and down the stream for a safe crossing that will keep you and yours out of the water. There is a lot of force in that current! Legs sideways to it don't get pushed as much as your pelvis or stomach, so look for those flooded meadows where the current is spread out and shallower for crossing, but beware that there will still be a main channel with deeper water out there somewhere.

Oh, and those nasty, air-borne piranha called mosquitoes are out in force below 8,000, so bring lots of repellant!

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd