[pct-l] PCT Thru-Hike Southbound

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Fri Jul 15 12:04:15 CDT 2011

Tavin,

What I've heard is second hand information from those who've been in the
Sierra backcountry in early winter.  They related that the snow cover makes
surfaces slick and treacherous, especially over passes.  By spring and early
summer when most nobos move through the snow has accumulated and there is a
solid base to move over, at least until the melt-out. But when the first
snows cover the rocks and trail, then melt and freeze, it's an
unconsolidated slippery mess.

Logistically you also must consider that the resupply depots in the Sierras
that hikers depend upon will probably not be open when you get there, and
the roads that lead out to civilization will also be closed. The amount of
food you would have to carry would be enormous, adding to the difficulty
exponentially.

I know one hiker who did make it through the Sierras in early winter,
crossing Forester Pass mid-November.  He hired a mountaineering guide (to
the tune of $300 a day) to get him through it. The conditions transformed a
hike into a full-blown mountaineering expedition.  It was very slow going.

To use an overly-used phrase (reference to the Nat Geo PCT film), it's
"EXTREME!"

L-Rod